Monday, October 18, 2010

My Story


I have always had this deep love for pit bulls. I can't explain it in any other way then simply saying that everyone believes what they hear in the media without really knowing from first hand experiences. Pit Bulls are the most misunderstood breed in the k9 world.

I had recently moved into a new house where they allow pets. I begged and begged my boyfriend to let me get a Pit Bull, and he eventually said that it was okay. I started looking through rescue centers in my area along with ASPCA centers, and I found that they will only allow someone of 25 years of age to adopt a bully breed. Devastation fell on me.

As I completely disagree with buying Pit Bulls from breeders. I started my search online on petfinder.com. I found a liter of puppies not to far away from my house for $175.00. Which is the same price to adopt one from a shelter. So I started e-mailing this girl who was selling the puppies and as I discussed it with my boyfriend we decided to go get her.

As I pulled up to this old broke down house. I saw this woman with my little white puppy on the porch. As I realized this puppy was extremely underweight and had obviously been outside for most of its life, I had to get this puppy and leave as quickly as possible. As I walked up to the porch this big male Pit Bull approached me. The owners told him to go lay down. I started to ask some questions to if she was healthy and if she has had any problems. I realized that the mother was no where in sight. So I politely asked where is the mother to the puppies, the owner responded with, "She had an accident and died." As I was completely taken back by this comment, I needed to save this puppy and get out of there ASAP!

As I left all I could think of was oh my gosh, I just saved this puppies life! When I got home I took her to the vet to get a complete check up to make sure she was going to be okay. As the vet told me that she was a little underweight, but other than that her test came back clean. She was in perfect health over all. As I told the vet what the owners had told me about the mother dog, this look just over came the vets face. She asked me how many puppies were in the liter, I told her 4 and she just kind of sat there. As she looked up at me she said, "Well Nicole I can honestly tell you that you saved this dogs life, the owners probably killed the mother seeing how she is only producing 4 puppies." As she explained it to me if the family is living off selling puppies and the mother is only having 4 puppies, the mother is of no use to them anymore.

I was completely devastated by this news but in a way happy that I had saved this puppy from that kind of life.


This is the story of how that little white puppy on the porch became my loving dog NeVaeh!

No comments:

Post a Comment